Click below to listen to this article:
Self-transcendence is the ability to go beyond one’s personal Ego and identify with a larger reality that is more inclusive, holistic and meaningful. It is a transpersonal element of human development that involves expanding one’s consciousness and Awareness of the Interconnectedness of all life. Self-transcendence can be achieved through various methods, such as meditation, Spirituality, Altruism, creativity, peak experiences and Flow states. These methods can help one to overcome the limitations of one’s Self-centred perspective and experience a sense of Oneness, Harmony and Purpose with the universe.
Benefits of transpersonal transcendence
Transpersonal Self-transcendence is a psychological concept that refers to the ability to go beyond one’s personal identity and Ego Boundaries, and connect with a Higher reality or a greater whole. It can also have many benefits for one’s well-being, such as:
- Enhancing one’s sense of Meaning and Purpose in life, by aligning one’s actions with one’s values and ideals, and finding a deeper significance in one’s existence.
- Increasing one’s Positive emotions and happiness, by experiencing joy, Gratitude, Awe, love, Compassion, and peace, and reducing Negative emotions such as fear, anger, guilt, and shame.
- Improving one’s mental health and resilience, by coping better with Stress, Trauma, loss, and adversity, and developing a more optimistic and hopeful outlook on life.
- Fostering one’s personal growth and development, by expanding one’s Awareness, creativity, Wisdom, and intuition, and discovering new aspects of oneself and one’s potential.
- Enriching one’s relationships and social interactions, by cultivating empathy, Altruism, Forgiveness, and Harmony with others, and contributing to the common good of humanity and the planet.
Transpersonal Self-transcendence can be achieved through various practices and experiences, such as meditation, prayer, yoga, art, music, nature, service, Spirituality, or Peak experiences. Furthermore, it is not a fixed state or a final goal, but a dynamic process of exploration and transformation that can enrich one’s life in many ways. There are various techniques that can help one achieve transpersonal transcendence, such as:
Meditation is a practice of focusing one’s attention on a chosen object, such as the breath, a Mantra, or a visualization. It can help calm the mind, reduce Stress, and enhance Awareness. It can also facilitate access to deeper levels of consciousness and Insight.
Psychedelics are substances that alter one’s perception, cognition, and emotion. They can induce Profound changes in one’s Sense of self, reality, and Meaning. Some psychedelics, such as psilocybin, LSD, and DMT, have been shown to induce transpersonal experiences in some users.
Breath work is a technique of controlling one’s breathing patterns to achieve various psychological and physiological effects. It can help regulate one’s emotions, increase energy, and release Trauma. It can also induce altered states of consciousness and transpersonal phenomena.
Yoga is a system of physical, mental, and spiritual practices that originated in India. It can help improve one’s health, flexibility, and balance. It can also cultivate mindfulness, concentration, and Compassion. Some forms of yoga, such as kundalini yoga and hatha yoga, can activate one’s subtle energy centres and awaken one’s latent potential.
Music is a form of art that expresses emotions, ideas, and stories through sound. It can affect one’s mood, cognition, and behaviour. It can also evoke transcendent feelings of beauty, joy, and Harmony. Some types of music, such as classical music, ambient music, and chanting, can facilitate transpersonal experiences in some listeners.
Here are some links for further reading:
Basic elements of transpersonal psychology – PsychCentral
The Practice of Transpersonal Psychology – APA psycNet
The transcendence of the Transpersonal Self – Kenneth Sorensen